The station is typical of Brunel’s design with booking office, waiting rooms, Ladies’ and Gents’ all maintained in their original Victorian glory.The platforms have trolleys, trunks, bikes, milk churns and the general paraphernalia one would have seen decorating the station in the old days.In 1997 the DEPG constructed a steel maintenance shed containing two roads adjacent to the former Good Shed.
On 28 March 1976 the present West Somerset Railway opened for business and the line to Williton opened on Saturday 28 August 1976.A larger than usual gap separates the two platforms which owes its existence to the original 7ft ¼in broad gauge used when the line was originally built.These pages are independent of, and are not officially supported by, the West Somerset Railway Plc or any of the affiliated organisations, unless specifically mentioned on the appropriate page.All information is believed correct but this web site's editors, the West Somerset Railway Plc or any of the affiliated organisations cannot be held responsible for any errors.The Signal Box is brick built and is the only example of a Bristol and Exeter Railway design still in full working order.
The signal box contains a 27 lever frame dating back to the 1920’s, with two additional levers to lock the wicket gates at the crossing.
Considerable work was undertaken to the signals and associated equipment, and the wagon used by the Williton Station Staff as a mess room and workshop was removed and a new facility constructed on the ‘down’ side of the track.
is an unofficial website featuring news, pictures and information about Williton Station ©Williton Station 2018.
All photographs, drawings, diagrams and text are copyright of the respective photographers, artists and authors.
Some images, marked (cc) are licenced under a Creative Common Licence.
The station’s passing loop opened in 1871 was extended in 1906 and again in 1937 but, in 1968, the bridge over the stream failed and BR shortened the loop once more.